Fonts for screen/printer

General discussions on potential enhancements to the APL+Win system.

Fonts for screen/printer

Postby Ajay Askoolum » August 11th, 2015, 1:51 pm

Windows 10 installs a number of fonts whose names begin with the @ symbol. I gather that these are fonts designed for vertical alignment (as in Chinese & others). The fonts options in Word filters them out. APL+Win filters shows all the fonts when choosing Font for Screen/Printer.

Could you eliminate these fonts from the list of fonts available?
Ajay Askoolum

Re: Fonts for screen/printer

Postby Tech Support » August 11th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Thank you for your request. But what you described is not unique to Windows 10 because it also happens in Windows versions as far back as Windows 7. So what issue or problem will be solved with their removal?
Tech Support

Postby Ajay Askoolum » August 12th, 2015, 12:32 am

- I do not recall ever seeing fonts whose names begin with @ before Windows 10; however, this recollection may be flawed since I rarely changed Font For Screen/Printer.
- I have never seen those font names in the Word or Excel fonts selection drop down, not even when running on Windows 10.

The main benefit would be the removal of clutter from the font selection drop down; those fonts are not eligible options with APL+Win. And, their elimination is quite easy - the first letter of the font name begins with @.
Ajay Askoolum

Postby Tech Support » August 12th, 2015, 10:27 am

Hi Ajay,

I'm not convinced that any fonts should be eliminated from the fonts list. Because based on your logic, then no fonts but the compatible fonts installed with APL+Win should be listed in the Fonts for screen and printer dialogs. Besides, changing fonts is not something that is frequently done to become a burdensome task.
Tech Support

Return to APL+Win Wish-List