Problem with APL 12.1.02 Support

General discussions related to APLNext's APLNextSupervisor product.

Problem with APL 12.1.02 Support

Postby karenkazun » September 18th, 2012, 3:19 pm

Hello,

Our organization is in the process of upgrading all computers to APL 12.1.02, and we also have some virtual machines on Citrix servers.

The local computers with v12 work with APL and NextSupervisor as intended, but when we run the exact same program on one of the Citrix servers, we get this error message as soon as the multi-threaded function starts:

HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component. at APLW.WSEngineClass.Call(String FunctionName, Object Argument, Object LeftArgument)

at APLNext.APLProcessInfo.APLProcess()

I've spoken to our IT department, and they said they didn't run into any issues during the installation. Any help on this would be great.

Thanks,

Karen
karenkazun

Re: Problem with APL 12.1.02 Support

Postby joe_blaze » September 18th, 2012, 8:23 pm

Hi Karen,

Initial suggestions: When the APLNext.Supervisor was installed on the remote server (Citrix server):

Was the installation carried out with user credentials which were a member of the administrator group on the server?

Was the .msi option to install for 'All Users' selected?

Joe
joe_blaze

Postby JLopez » September 19th, 2012, 8:51 am

Hi Karen,

Can you verify that the ActiveX server for Apl+Win is working properly on your Citrix installation?

Regards,

Jairo Lopez
JLopez

Postby karenkazun » September 19th, 2012, 2:40 pm

Joe, I've spoken to our IT department again, and they said 'All Users' was selected and only administrators can install programs on the server.

Jairo, I know that this was working before we installed v12. I just opened an instance of v11 and opened the workspace from there, and ran into the same error (which again was never a problem before the new installation). I don't know if that shows that if it is or is not working. What should I do next?

Thanks,

Karen
karenkazun

Postby Tech Support » September 19th, 2012, 5:29 pm

Karen,

I need you to conduct an experiment to help determine whether the proper version of the APL+Win ActiveX server is registered and operating correctly on the Citrix server. You do this by executing the statements below in the APL+Win v12.1 development system:
Code: Select all
      'aplws' ⎕wi 'Create' 'aplw.wsengine'
      'aplws' ⎕wi 'XSysCall' '⎕sysver'

The result from the second statement should read:
12.1.02  Jul 26 2012 18:06:57  Win/32

If it is, continue with the statements below using the workspace that is attached. And if it isn't, then you must first register the v12.1 aplw.exe before proceeding. If you need assistance with this step, just let us know.
      'aplws' ⎕wi 'XSysCommand' 'load <path>\com_init'
where <path> is the location of the com_init.w3 workspace.
      'aplws' ⎕wi 'XCall' 'Init'

The result from the second statement should read:
Remote APL COM server successfully initialized

Please respond with your results from this experiment.

It'd also be helpful if you were to provide the exact statement in your APL+Win function that is responsible for the error message you reported.

Thanks,
Attachments
COM_INIT.w3
(5.29 KiB) Downloaded 830 times
Tech Support

Postby justinpursaga » September 20th, 2012, 2:56 pm

Thanks,
Karen is away today (September 20th, 2012), but will be in tomorrow and she will test it then (September 21, 2012)
We will get back to you with our results.
Justin
justinpursaga

Postby karenkazun » September 21st, 2012, 10:22 am

I've tried running the above tests on both servers, and 12.1.02 Jul 26 2012 18:06:57 Win/32 showed up. I then ran the next couple of lines and successfully got Remote APL COM server successfully initialized to show up. I tried to run my program again, and unfortunately ran into the same error.

When I tried to run the test, I did run into something a little strange: When I ran the first line, 'aplws' ⎕wi 'Create' 'aplw.wsengine', a new ActiveX server window popped up with the following error.

HOST ERROR _write 3014 9 5 Access is denied.
FixUCMDS[83] ucmdmat ⎕freplace tieno, 4

⎕xfnames
C:\APLWIN12\UCMDS.SF
ucmdmat
C:\APLWIN12\UCMDSW
C:\APLWIN12\UCMDS3
C:\APLWIN12\UCMDS2
C:\APLWIN12\UCMDS

I don't know if this has any meaning to you. I remember that we initially had a problem working on the servers because we didn't have access to the APLNextSupervisor.log file, but that has been fixed. When that was a problem, we ran into an 'Access is denied' error, and not the same error that we are having now.

It does not look like the program bombs on a particular line, but in the connection to the ActiveX servers. We setup the multi-threading in a function 'SetupMultiCore', and the XML configuration settings are done in 'ConfigMultiCore'. I put a stop on the first line of the multi-threaded function, and the program never got there, but it ran through 'SetupMultiCore' without a problem. I've attached our functions 'SetupMultiCore' and 'ConfigMultiCore'.

Thanks for your help!
Attachments
SetupMultiCore and ConfigMultiCore.doc
(30 KiB) Downloaded 871 times
karenkazun

Postby Tech Support » September 21st, 2012, 11:23 am

karenkazun wrote:When I tried to run the test, I did run into something a little strange: When I ran the first line, 'aplws' ⎕wi 'Create' 'aplw.wsengine', a new ActiveX server window popped up with the following error.

HOST ERROR _write 3014 9 5 Access is denied.
FixUCMDS[83] ucmdmat ⎕freplace tieno, 4

⎕xfnames
C:\APLWIN12\UCMDS.SF
ucmdmat
C:\APLWIN12\UCMDSW
C:\APLWIN12\UCMDS3
C:\APLWIN12\UCMDS2
C:\APLWIN12\UCMDS

I don't know if this has any meaning to you. I remember that we initially had a problem working on the servers because we didn't have access to the APLNextSupervisor.log file, but that has been fixed. When that was a problem, we ran into an 'Access is denied' error, and not the same error that we are having now.

This error report may be similar to your earlier problem. The likely reason that the FixUCMDS function isn't successfully writing to the file UCMDS.SF is because it is currently a read-only file, which normally isn't the case, or there is insufficient permission to modify the file. The person that solved your earlier problem should be able to assist you in solving this one.
Tech Support

Postby Tech Support » September 21st, 2012, 12:20 pm

karenkazun wrote:The local computers with v12 work with APL and NextSupervisor as intended, but when we run the exact same program on one of the Citrix servers, we get this error message as soon as the multi-threaded function starts:

HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component. at APLW.WSEngineClass.Call(String FunctionName, Object Argument, Object LeftArgument)
at APLNext.APLProcessInfo.APLProcess()

Where does this error message appear (in APL+Win or external window) and what is the state of APL+Win (still running or closed)? A picture of the actual error message would be helpful.
Tech Support

Postby karenkazun » September 21st, 2012, 12:44 pm

The error shows up in the APL+Win controlling thread screen, and APL+Win still works and is open at this point. I ran this test with 4 threads, when I do this, 3 of the 4 threads show up in the processes tab of my task manager after it errors out (I made sure to close out of all other APL applications before I tried this). I've attached a picture of the actual error message, and of my task manager after my program bombs.

Thanks!
Attachments
Citrix Server Threading Error Task Manager.png
Citrix Server Threading Error Task Manager.png (27.3 KiB) Viewed 30356 times
Citrix Server Threading Error.png
Citrix Server Threading Error.png (97.01 KiB) Viewed 30356 times
karenkazun

Postby Tech Support » September 21st, 2012, 1:38 pm

Thanks for the info.

Are the output lines beginning with "Thread:" and "Error:" handled in the function Complete set in the onXProcessCompleteCallBack event-handler? If yes, please send the function listing for Complete.
Tech Support

Postby karenkazun » September 21st, 2012, 2:33 pm

Yes, it is within the Complete function. It is attached.
Attachments
Complete.doc
(28 KiB) Downloaded 862 times
karenkazun

Postby Tech Support » September 24th, 2012, 3:58 pm

Karen,

There is one more test I need you to try on your Citrix server. You may want to first conduct this test on your local machine to verify that it works. Copy the two workspaces in the zip file that is attached and place them in the same folder on your Citrix server. Then start APL+Win and load the workspace SUPERVISORCONTROLEXAMPLE.w3. Next, run the function ControllingApp. When run successfully, something similar to the following should appear in the session:
      ControllingApp
All 1000 submitted to APLNext Supervisor
Estimated probability of appreciation exceeding 7.2 units: 0.263
Successful trials : 1000
#Processing errors: 0

Please report back with your results.
Attachments
aplnext_supervisor_demo.zip
(13.39 KiB) Downloaded 1774 times
Tech Support

Postby karenkazun » September 24th, 2012, 5:05 pm

I was able to run the function on both servers that aren't working with my workspace. I looked at your code to try to see the differences. I changed the way my code set the maxpool, and I threw in the wgive 0's from lines 63 and 69, as well as the S wi 'XStop' and S wi 'Delete' from the ControllingApp function.

This still doesn't work on the servers, yet it still works on my local machine. Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks,

Karen
karenkazun

Postby Tech Support » September 25th, 2012, 12:08 pm

Karen,

It's now clear to us that the problem you're having with the APLNext Supervisor is not typical and goes beyond any assistance we can provide to you on this forum or via normal technical support channels. Therefore, any resolution to this problem will likely require our consulting services. Please contact Mrs. Sonia Beekman at 301-208-7150 or sonia.beekman@apl2000.com to discuss this further.
Tech Support

Next

Return to APLNextSupervisor