An additional []N/[]F method to get the fully qualified file

This topic is specifically for discussions on the new APL64 Project currently in development. This topic is open for all to browse. However, to post, one must have a registered account on the APLDN forum only available to APL+Win licensee under a current APL+Win Subscription.

Moderators: Tech Support, phpbb_admin

An additional []N/[]F method to get the fully qualified file

Postby Ajay Askoolum » November 11th, 2018, 4:24 am

I would find it useful to be able to get the fully qualified path of a file I have n-tied or f-tied by reference to the file name only when that file is in the current folder.

It is necessary to know the fully qualified path since I can change the current folder at will.

It will make it tidy - I can build the path using []chdir ''; I imagine that it will be straightforward to add this without side-impact.
Ajay Askoolum

Re: An additional []N/[]F method to get the fully qualified

Postby Davin Church » November 11th, 2018, 12:37 pm

That's an interesting thought, though I don't ever tie files by relative path - I always specify them explicitly so I don't run into the problem you have.

Just FYI - I typically use a function I called CWD (Current Workspace Directory) which returns to me the path to the loaded workspace. I then use that path to reference files which I expect to find alongside the workspace itself. For exceptions to this, I can localize an "override" variable so that CWD returns the path of my choice and I can continue to use CWD everywhere without caring where it's really pointing. Of course, user-specified paths have to be stored and used in a variable, which I do in those cases. Virtually none of my code cares what the "current directory" is in any case - it could be getting set to random directories at random times and it wouldn't affect the application.
Davin Church

Return to APL64 Project