Function assignment

This topic is specifically for discussions on the new APL64 Project currently in development. This topic is open for all to browse. However, to post, one must have a registered account on the APLDN forum only available to APL+Win licensee under a current APL+Win Subscription.

Moderators: Tech Support, phpbb_admin

Function assignment

Postby Davin Church » September 26th, 2018, 2:44 am

Perhaps we could get the ability to "assign functions", much as Dyalog does. So you could say:
sum←+/
and get a defined function out of it.
Davin Church

Re: Function assignment

Postby Ajay Askoolum » September 26th, 2018, 5:40 am

Workspace bound function assignments? Stuff of nightmares.
Installation bound function assignments? Yes. [akin to user defined tools in APL+Win]

On extensions, I absolutely abhor these lambda expressions or anonymous functions; Dyalog maintain that they are quicker than user-defined functions. For me, readability wins without contest.
Ajay Askoolum

Postby Davin Church » September 26th, 2018, 12:07 pm

I don't have a problem with lamda expressions or anonymous functions (from the usage point of view), as long as I don't lose the function styles I'm used to. I also don't have a problem with their readability, at least for short expressions - they act like idioms to me. I don't think I'd prefer to write significant application code in something like d-fns but that doesn't make them bad IMO.

Using functions as an assignable datatype is not a requirement for me, but I think it can be useful in a number of situations (especially with a Compose operator) -- provided it doesn't hurt the interpreter trying to put them in.
Davin Church

Postby Tech Support » October 15th, 2018, 6:06 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. It is answered in a Q&A document available here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1212 under the question "Will the APL64 Project Support Function Assignment?". This is a dynamic document that will be updated with new information so check it periodically.

We appreciate your input and hope you will continue to support the APL64 Project.
Tech Support

Return to APL64 Project