Regex matching

This topic is specifically for discussions on the new APL64 Project currently in development. This topic is open for all to browse. However, to post, one must have a registered account on the APLDN forum only available to APL+Win licensee under a current APL+Win Subscription.

Moderators: Tech Support, phpbb_admin

Regex matching

Postby Davin Church » September 26th, 2018, 11:51 pm

Since )FNS and friends now have Regex matching, is there some Quad function available for us to do matching and/or replacing from our applications? I've often liked to have that, but never had enough time to build my own tools for it.
Davin Church

Re: Regex matching

Postby Ajay Askoolum » October 14th, 2018, 3:39 am

Which RegEx engine? There are dozens.

Would be useful - in the Find and Find/Replace functionality of the editor.
Ajay Askoolum

Postby Davin Church » October 14th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Ajay Askoolum wrote:Which RegEx engine? There are dozens.

I'm not really sure it would matter to me, but something flexible and popular (popularity has its reasons). But I was expecting to get whatever they were already using for )FNS.

Some Regex systems also allow replacement as well as searching, which would be a nice benefit, but may be a little tricky to implement.
Davin Church

Postby Ajay Askoolum » October 14th, 2018, 2:05 pm

RegEx is one of those things that remind me to heed the warning be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

It is one thing that I have to learn afresh every time I use it.

What works for SQL Server's LIKE and PATINDEX does not work for NOTEPAD++ and does not work for DOS's FINDSTR and does not work with C# ... the list goes on (or the other way round). The number of times I locate the RegEX patterns on the internet (usually for Python) only to find that it does not work in my context!
Ajay Askoolum

Return to APL64 Project