Code versioning software

This topic is specifically for discussions on the new APL64 Project currently in development. This topic is open for all to browse. However, to post, one must have a registered account on the APLDN forum only available to APL+Win licensee under a current APL+Win Subscription.

Moderators: Tech Support, phpbb_admin

Code versioning software

Postby Davin Church » October 15th, 2018, 8:14 pm

In your Q&A manual you include this note (and a discussion thereof):
Code versioning software, e.g. Perforce, GitHub, includes code manipulation features, e.g. compare, merge, in addition to journalized source code storage.

May I suggest that you also consider encouraging the use of my ARM code management software. If it doesn't already work with APL64 then it should be able to with trivial changes (such as checking for a new ⎕SYSID).

ARM is tightly integrated into the APL interactive session philosophy and does not require import/export of code to external files, nor external command processing of those files with a commercial code-versioning system. It is used directly from the workspace, reading and writing APL objects natively, using no software besides APL itself. It provides virtually all the features needed for APL that the traditional software management packages provide, and does it in a much easier and faster way than having to coerce APL into working in the way for which they were designed.

I would like to confirm certain kinds of support that APL64 provides so that I can make sure it with work well with ARM, and will provide it free of charge for use with both old and new styles of APL.
Davin Church

Re: Code versioning software

Postby Davin Church » October 30th, 2018, 12:34 pm

In your Q&A document you defend your decision to provide export facilities for using various source code management systems, sometime in the future. I am not opposed to that and I think that would be a good plan. I just wanted to make you aware of another possibility that's available as a choice that does not have that support needed right away.
Davin Church

Return to APL64 Project