APL64 activations

This topic is specifically for discussions on the new APL64 Project currently in development. This topic is open for all to browse. However, to post, one must have a registered account on the APLDN forum only available to APL+Win licensee under a current APL+Win Subscription.

Moderators: Tech Support, phpbb_admin

APL64 activations

Postby Davin Church » October 15th, 2018, 8:30 pm

You mention having to activate APL64 in your Q&A document. I have no problems having to purchase and activate a development copy of APL64 once (provided the cost is "reasonable" [TBD]). But I would object to having to repurchase and reactivate it on a regular basis if I have no pressing reason to upgrade the version I've already got. I can see large corporations needing to keep up-to-date and paying for new versions as they become available, but small developers often don't have those kinds of resources and don't always need to stay up-to-date with the very latest interpreter.

Are you planning to require regular purchase renewals even without upgrades?
Davin Church

Re: APL64 activations

Postby Garth Hutchinson » October 24th, 2018, 1:20 pm

I agree. As being only a hobbyist, I have a further concern. As the world moves to 64-bit, existing development on 32-bit applications will suffer. Ubuntu 18.04, for example, is now distro'ed in 64-bit only. What incentive do potential new users have to get the existing APL+Win 32-bit if there is not a clear financial route to the 64-bit (i.e., a recognition of existing licensing)? Let's not have another debacle like VisualAPL which priced itself out of the market from the start.
R. Garth Hutchinson, BTh, FCIA
In systems since 1962, APL-er since 1970's
Garth Hutchinson

Return to APL64 Project