)EVLEVEL

This topic is specifically for discussions on the new APL64 Project currently in development. This topic is open for all to browse. However, to post, one must have a registered account on the APLDN forum only available to APL+Win licensee under a current APL+Win Subscription.

Moderators: Tech Support, phpbb_admin

)EVLEVEL

Postby Davin Church » October 15th, 2018, 11:56 pm

Does APL64 have )EVLEVEL for compatibility purposes?
Davin Church

Re: )EVLEVEL

Postby Ajay Askoolum » October 16th, 2018, 1:42 am

I asked this question right at the outset http://forum.apl2000.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1205

My preference would be to discard this, together with the various file extensions (X* C*) and have the original file function names names only handling all functionality, as well as the APL keyboard option. This would make for a faster route to market, a more streamlined product, and reduce the number of pathways ... less to document, less to learn!
Ajay Askoolum

Postby Davin Church » October 16th, 2018, 2:02 am

Sorry - I forgot. The reason I asked is I've got code that references ⎕SYS[12] and I'd like it to run unchanged on both the old and new system. For this particular purpose, I could do with setting it to a fixed value of 2, or even a fixed value of 0, but that gives us no room for future "evolution" if there should one day be an )EVLEVEL 3 for some reason.

Consolidating the file function quad-names would be nice for a new product, but it would be very bad for compatibility with existing code and existing files.
Davin Church

Postby Ajay Askoolum » October 16th, 2018, 3:27 am

As far as I am aware, )EVLEVEL is as session setting and there is no []EVELEVEL (which might have been localised like []io). I wonder if any one has )evlevel set to 1 permanently (in their INI file).

With )evlevel set to 2, all of the IBM APL2 idioms work with APL+Win and most break with )evlevel 1.

The issue with removing []XN* and []XF* and have []N*, []F* deliver their functionality seamlessly (clever enough to manage the differences in internal structure) might be a problem (since most people would be using the []X* versions) UNLESS there is a one way automated migration tool to change the function names. APL64 has the suffix *.WS64 so it is unlikely to cause any confusions.
Ajay Askoolum

Postby Davin Church » October 16th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Ajay Askoolum wrote:As far as I am aware, )EVLEVEL is as session setting and there is no []EVELEVEL (which might have been localised like []io). I wonder if any one has )evlevel set to 1 permanently (in their INI file).

I bet there are some people out there somewhere with some REALLY OLD code.

Ajay Askoolum wrote:The issue with removing []XN* and []XF* and have []N*, []F* deliver their functionality seamlessly (clever enough to manage the differences in internal structure) might be a problem (since most people would be using the []X* versions) UNLESS there is a one way automated migration tool to change the function names.

The "X" prefix is only used to change the way file names are accepted and returned. If you've got code expecting []FNAMES to give you back library numbers then it will break if it gives you back a full path, and vice versa.

Ajay Askoolum wrote:APL64 has the suffix *.WS64 so it is unlikely to cause any confusions.

That's about workspaces, not files.
Davin Church

Postby Tech Support » October 29th, 2018, 7:03 pm

Thank you for your question. It is answered in a Q&A document available here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1229 under the question "Will the )EVLEVEL system command functionality be supported in the APL64 Project?". This is a dynamic document that will be updated with new information so check it periodically.

We appreciate your input and hope you will continue to support the APL64 Project.
Tech Support

Return to APL64 Project