APLNext.TTF versus Euro

General discussions related to APLNext's VisualAPL.

Moderators: Tech Support, phpbb_admin

APLNext.TTF versus Euro

Postby Rex.Swain » May 26th, 2011, 11:26 am

I have a copy of font file APLNext.TTF dated 1/22/07 (file version 1.000.2006). It seems that the Euro currency symbol is not in the standard position U+20AC.

Is there an updated version of this font? I quite like it for display of APL code in a Unicode RichEdit control.
Rex.Swain

Postby Tech Support » May 26th, 2011, 4:30 pm

Note: This topic was moved here from the APL+Win group because the APLNext.TTF font is distributed with VisualAPL, making this area the proper group to discuss it.
Tech Support

Postby JLopez » May 30th, 2011, 5:49 pm

As you can see from the attached file the euro glyph is located at the proper location.
Attachments
APLNext Font Euro Glyph.pdf
APLNext ttf euro
(293.94 KiB) Downloaded 771 times
JLopez

Postby Rex.Swain » May 30th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Well, the Euro does not appear when I use APLNext.TTF with a Unicode RichEdit control from APL+Win.

When I examine the font with a font editor, I do not see the Euro. See attached image.

Perhaps Cielo is getting the Euro from somewhere else?
Attachments
aplnext.jpg
aplnext.jpg (573.13 KiB) Viewed 18954 times
Rex.Swain

.Net Font Fallback is involved

Postby joe_blaze » June 8th, 2011, 10:42 pm

The APLNext.ttf font with 325 glyphs does not explicitly include the 'EUR' glyph as well as certain other 'common' Unicode-based glyphs. The APLNext.ttf font was designed to be a file for use in .Net applications which is relatively small while still containing the 'APL' glyphs.

The 'EUR' glyph is displayed when the APLNext.ttf font is used in a .Net application because of 'Font Fallback' which is the mechanism used in .Net applications to render 'missing' glyphs in a selected front. []UCS in VisualAPL is a cover function for calls to the .Net FontFamily class which incorporates 'Font Fallback', so []UCS 8364 displays the Euro glyph. See here for more information: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... amily.aspx

The .Net 'Font Fallback' mechanism replaces the Microsoft-deprecated Win32 'Font Substitution' technology. The above MSDN link illustrates some control over 'Font Fallback' in a .Net application, but those procedures would not apply to a Win32 application, such as APL+Win.

Microsoft Word 2010 supports 'Font Fallback' and using Word 2010 it is possible to determine the 'fallback font' source for a 'missing' glyph. NotePad, WordPad and the Win32 RichText control do not, so the APLNext.ttf font may not be suitable in those simpler programs.
joe_blaze

Return to VisualAPL