APL64 - Session look

This topic is specifically for discussions on the new APL64 Project currently in development. This topic is open for all to browse. However, to post, one must have a registered account on the APLDN forum only available to APL+Win licensee under a current APL+Win Subscription.

Moderators: Tech Support, phpbb_admin

APL64 - Session look

Postby Ajay Askoolum » October 16th, 2018, 4:02 am

I am a little ambivalent about the APL64 session as shown in screen shots in the Q&A document.
I like the simplicity (& familiarity - it is in keeping with APL+Win).
On the other hand, an interface that provides more information might be very useful? Consider something like the SSMS interface shown below all windows are user re-sizeable:
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (54.45 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
Ajay Askoolum

Re: APL64 - Session look

Postby Davin Church » October 16th, 2018, 12:35 pm

I don't know that I agree. I'm so used to having that big (wide) session window, where I can see lots of input and output data at once, that I think I'd spend all my time with any kind of "explorer" windows completely closed. (Of course, I'd have that option.) Being able to split the input window from the output (as they describe) would have it's advantages, but mostly I'd like to use all the screen real estate I can get.
Davin Church

Postby Ajay Askoolum » October 16th, 2018, 2:50 pm

You can still have all the real estate, much as with APL+Win - the middle pane. I think I'd prefer that too.
The left and right panes can collapse on losing focus OR be non-existent until enabled by options under View in the menu bar.

There is some merit in separating the input (the expressions you type) and the output (the results of the expressions, including any errors they herald) into separate windows. The output window can show none, one or several outputs.
Ajay Askoolum

Postby Tech Support » October 29th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Thank you for your question. It is answered in a Q&A document available here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1229 under the question "Are the Panes in the APL64 Project Session Graphical User Interface (GUI) Floatable and Resizable?". This is a dynamic document that will be updated with new information so check it periodically.

We appreciate your input and hope you will continue to support the APL64 Project.
Tech Support

Return to APL64 Project