APLNext.TTF versus Euro

General discussions related to APLNext's VisualAPL.

Moderators: Tech Support, phpbb_admin

APLNext.TTF versus Euro

Postby Rex.Swain » May 26th, 2011, 11:26 am

I have a copy of font file APLNext.TTF dated 1/22/07 (file version 1.000.2006). It seems that the Euro currency symbol is not in the standard position U+20AC.

Is there an updated version of this font? I quite like it for display of APL code in a Unicode RichEdit control.

Postby Tech Support » May 26th, 2011, 4:30 pm

Note: This topic was moved here from the APL+Win group because the APLNext.TTF font is distributed with VisualAPL, making this area the proper group to discuss it.
Tech Support

Postby JLopez » May 30th, 2011, 5:49 pm

As you can see from the attached file the euro glyph is located at the proper location.
APLNext Font Euro Glyph.pdf
APLNext ttf euro
(293.94 KiB) Downloaded 295 times

Postby Rex.Swain » May 30th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Well, the Euro does not appear when I use APLNext.TTF with a Unicode RichEdit control from APL+Win.

When I examine the font with a font editor, I do not see the Euro. See attached image.

Perhaps Cielo is getting the Euro from somewhere else?
aplnext.jpg (573.13 KiB) Viewed 5036 times

.Net Font Fallback is involved

Postby joe_blaze » June 8th, 2011, 10:42 pm

The APLNext.ttf font with 325 glyphs does not explicitly include the 'EUR' glyph as well as certain other 'common' Unicode-based glyphs. The APLNext.ttf font was designed to be a file for use in .Net applications which is relatively small while still containing the 'APL' glyphs.

The 'EUR' glyph is displayed when the APLNext.ttf font is used in a .Net application because of 'Font Fallback' which is the mechanism used in .Net applications to render 'missing' glyphs in a selected front. []UCS in VisualAPL is a cover function for calls to the .Net FontFamily class which incorporates 'Font Fallback', so []UCS 8364 displays the Euro glyph. See here for more information: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... amily.aspx

The .Net 'Font Fallback' mechanism replaces the Microsoft-deprecated Win32 'Font Substitution' technology. The above MSDN link illustrates some control over 'Font Fallback' in a .Net application, but those procedures would not apply to a Win32 application, such as APL+Win.

Microsoft Word 2010 supports 'Font Fallback' and using Word 2010 it is possible to determine the 'fallback font' source for a 'missing' glyph. NotePad, WordPad and the Win32 RichText control do not, so the APLNext.ttf font may not be suitable in those simpler programs.

Return to VisualAPL